- Use the toilet if you need to and do not measure your blood pressure within 30 minutes of eating a big meal, drinking caffeine or smoking.
- Wear loose fitting clothes so you can push up the sleeve comfortably.
- Sit and rest for at least 5 minutes before taking a reading.
- Take the reading sitting with your arm resting on a table or flat surface and your feet flat on the floor.
- Use the same arm each time and ensure that your arm is supported and that the cuff is at the same height as your hearty. If necessary use a cushion to achieve this.